Let’s say I have a great product capability in mind, and it has a bunch of features. (Maybe these are user stories, whatever.)
Some of those features are “must haves.” I can’t really deliver the capability without those. Some of them are “nice to have” – the more of those, the better the experience my customers will have, but they aren’t truly necessary. And some of the features will differentiate this capability from my competitors. We will all have capability X, but my version of X will have feature Q which they don’t have and that customers will find really valuable.
What I want in my requirements management tool is the following:
- Let me decompose a capability into features.
- Let me characterize the relationship between a feature and its parent capability – is it a must have, or a nice to have, or a differentiator (or, or, or)?
- Can I ship it? (All must-have features are ready to ship.)
- Can I put it on the datasheet? (I am shipping at least one differentiating feature.)
- Can I demo it? (If I’m only delivering must-have features, then I won’t demo the capability, but if I have some nice-to-have and differentiating features, I’ll show them in the demo
Would this work for you?